Visa Information

Visa Information

Visa applications

Under Australia’s universal visa system, all visitors to Australia must have a valid visa to travel to and enter Australia (other than New Zealand passport holders who will normally be granted a Special Category visa on arrival, provided they meet health and character requirements; and permanent residents of Norfolk Island who may be granted a Permanent Resident of Norfolk Island visa on arrival).

There are many visa options available to people wishing to visit Australia. The appropriate visa option will depend, amongst other things, on the person’s purpose for visiting Australia.

Applying for a visa

Visa application forms are available on the Department’s website and many applications can be lodged online. Details about how to apply are included in the information about the particular visa you wish to apply for. A list of visas is available on the Department’s website.

Creating an ImmiAccount

ImmiAccount is a single point of entry into the Department’s online visa services. Information about ImmiAccount is available on the Department’s website.

Visa processing times

Information about visa processing times is available on the Department’s website.

Visitor visas

If you are planning to visit Australia to attend a business event such as a conference, seminar, trade fair or expo as a participant or an attendee (that is, you will not be working, entertaining, or being paid to contribute), you may be eligible for one of the following Visitor visas:

  • Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) (subclass 601)
  • Visitor (subclass 651)
  • Visitor visa (subclass 600) in the Business Visitor stream.

You must not be intending to:

  • work for or provide services to a business or organisation in Australia or
  • sell goods or services to the Australian public.

While you must not be paid by an organiser for your participation in the event, you may be reimbursed for reasonable expenses such as accommodation and meals.
A Visitor visa may also be appropriate if you are undertaking a genuine unpaid volunteer role, but only if:

  • the voluntary work is incidental to the main purpose of your visit to Australia as a tourist
  • the work would not otherwise be undertaken in return for wages by an Australian resident
  • the work is genuinely voluntary and you are not paid for it, other than for meals, accommodation or out of pocket living expenses
  • the main benefit of the voluntary work is not to a commercial organisation
  • the voluntary work is short term (generally three months) and of benefit to the community.

Further information about the specific requirements of Visitor visas is available on the Department’s website.

If you require further supporting documents (i.e. invitation letter), please contact: